How do I know if I need wisdom teeth removal?
Wisdom teeth – also called third molars – are teeth in the back of your mouth that usually begin to emerge in your teens. Though having wisdom teeth is quite normal, most people will require removal at some point to avoid or correct complications. In many cases, the mouth is not large enough to accommodate all the teeth. As they emerge through the gum, they do so at an angle and force other teeth to reposition out of proper bite alignment.
Your dentist will generally recommend wisdom teeth extraction if they notice any of the following:
- Pain in the back of the mouth where the teeth are emerging
- The wisdom teeth emerge sideways and/or are stuck below the gums (known as an impacted tooth)
- Other teeth being pushed out of their normal alignment to make room for the wisdom teeth
- Food and debris becoming trapped in the back of the mouth, especially if it leads to gum disease or infection
- Wisdom teeth developing decay or cavities
- Cysts near the wisdom teeth
When you visit your local tooth extraction specialist at Smile Design Dentistry, you’ll receive the attentive, personalized care you deserve. We’ll sit down with you to explain your necessary treatment, and we’ll work hard to ensure that you’re comfortable throughout your procedure and during the hours and days following your surgery. Most patients only need an over-the-counter pain reliever for the first day or two.