At one of our many Smile Design Dentistry locations near you, our dentist and registered dental hygienist, will work as a team to give you have the highest level of preventative oral health care. We are known for our compassion and gentle thoroughness.
Because our dental locations throughout Florida offer the full range of dental services, you and your family will always have a dental home to go to should you need fillings, crowns, or other restorations. Because our dentists are experts in smile makeovers, dental implants, and full mouth restoration, the latest and best dental materials and techniques will be used. Because we have the services of specialists inside our locations… pediatric dentistry… endodontics… periodontics… we can give you the most affordable care for extensive treatment.
Do not delay in making an appointment if it has been six months or more since you had a professional dental cleaning and checkup, or if you have concerns about cavities, puffy gums, bleeding gums, teeth discoloration, and/or gum or tooth sensitivity.
Detecting problems and treating them promptly before they advance is the goal of preventive care. Even if you are personally unaware of any oral health problems, it’s important that you have regular dental check-ups and professional teeth cleanings to spot problems early and to maintain a high level of oral health that prevents diseases such as tooth decay and gingivitis from starting.
Components of Preventive Oral Health Care
- Clinical Exam: Your local Smile Design dentist will examine your mouth to gather information about the condition of your individual teeth, the gum and bone tissue surrounding your teeth, other soft tissue of your mouth, your chewing muscles, your jaw joints, and your occlusion (how your teeth come together). The dentist will be looking for signs of gum disease, dental decay, cracks in your enamel, wear patterns on teeth, and the status of your dental restorations (fillings, crowns, bridges, dentures, implant crowns and bridges, and/or composite bonding). You will have time to ask questions, see problem areas in your mouth, and discuss cosmetic concerns you may have about your smile.
If the dentist determines your oral health will benefit from treatment, keep in mind that the dentist has your wellbeing in mind, and that the recommended treatment will prevent the need for more extensive treatment. If you need treatment, the treatment or treatment options will be fully explained and reasons for treatment discussed. We will do a benefits check for your dental plan, estimate your out of pocket costs, and assist you in arranging payment for the care you need. The decision to accept treatment is yours to make. We can phase treatments to make them more affordable over time. We are here help.
- Digital X-Rays: Periodically, dental x-rays are used to safely and accurately detect hidden dental problems and complete an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. We use the latest digital technology with extremely low exposure to radiation. Your digital images can be instantly viewed on a monitor and enlarged, allowing us to easily see certain problems and show them to you.
- Dental Cleanings: Adults and children also need to have a clinical dental cleaning, called a “dental prophylaxis” or “prophy” for short, at least every six months. This cleaning procedure is performed with special tools to thoroughly remove dental plaque from tooth surfaces and polish the surfaces to slow down bacterial buildup.
- Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing: This is a deeper cleaning process using tools that clean the space between the gum tissue and the teeth down to the roots. This is not part of routine teeth cleaning and may require local anesthetic to numb the gums, as well as localized antibiotic placement to help with healing.
- Fluoride Treatment: Topical fluoride strengthens the teeth once they have erupted by seeping into the outer surface of the tooth enamel, making the teeth more resistant to decay. Both children and adults benefit from a professional fluoride application once or twice a year during their regular checkup and cleaning visits.
- Dental Sealants: A thin, plastic coating can be applied to the chewing surface of molars, premolars and any deep grooves in your teeth to protect them with a smooth, easy to clean surface. Sealants can protect teeth from decay for many years, and your Smile Design dentist will examine your sealants during your regular checkups to see if you need retreatment due to wear and chipping.
- Optimal Home Care: Your personal home care plays an important role in achieving a healthy smile that lasts a lifetime. A healthy mouth starts by eating healthy balanced meals, reducing the number of snacks you eat between meals, reducing sipping sugary drinks such as juices and sodas throughout the day, and correctly cleaning your mouth to control the plaque and bacteria that cause dental disease. Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a manual soft toothbrush or, better yet, an electric toothbrush. Daily flossing is the best way to clean between the teeth and under the gum line. Flossing not only helps clean these spaces, it also disrupts plaque colonies from building up, thus preventing damage to the gums, teeth, and bone. While you are visiting with our oral hygienist, she will show you how to brush and floss most effectively. It is important to rinse your mouth with water after brushing, and after meals if you are unable to brush. We may recommend other cleaning aids such as an interdental brush, rubber tip stimulator, and anti-bacterial mouth rinse.
Is it time for you to make a dental appointment for yourself or a family member?
Don’t delay. Contact Smile Design Dentistry today.